An echocardiogram is a type of diagnostic imaging procedure that is used to visualize the heart as it beats. This procedure uses harmless sound waves to create visual “slices” of the heart, allowing your cardiologist to closely examine the function and orientation of each part of the heart as it works, including the chambers, valves, and blood vessels. Reddy Cardiac Wellness offers 2D echocardiogram testing in the Sugar Land area to help our cardiologists deliver targeted and personalized treatment recommendations to our patients.
Information Provided by an Echocardiogram
Echocardiograms are a noninvasive diagnostic that provide more detailed information about the structure of the heart and the flow of blood through it than simple heartbeat-based testing, such as EKGs.
- Cross-sectional imaging of the heart provides a clear view of the size of the heart and its chambers. This allows your cardiologist to determine whether the heart muscle has been affected by damage due to a heart attack or chronic heart disease , such as hypertension or heart failure, which can cause the heart muscle to stiffen and the chambers to change shape or size.
- Watching your heart beat provides information about blood flow and valve function, which is used to diagnose or monitor valve disease and congenital defects, such as valve prolapse and valve stenosis.
- Blood flow monitoring also allows your cardiologist to measure the ejection fraction, which reflects the pumping function of your heart. Low ejection fractions are associated with heart muscle damage, which weaken the ability of the heart to pump blood effectively through your body, causing the symptoms of heart disease you may be experiencing.
- An echocardiogram can also provide information about the sac of fluid that surrounds the heart, called the pericardium, which can become infected and inflamed, causing chest pain.
Major Benefits of 2D Echocardiogram Imaging
Echocardiography is a simple and well-understood way to visualize the function of the beating heart. Dr. Reddy and Dr. Khan regularly use this type of diagnostic imaging for fast and accurate diagnosis and treatment planning for a variety of heart conditions in Sugar Land. You can schedule your appointment with us to discuss your heart health by calling (281) 617-2203.
- Echocardiography uses harmless sound waves to create images of the heart, the pericardium, and even your major blood vessels. You will not be exposed to any type of radiation and the test is completely noninvasive and painless.
- An echocardiogram produces very accurate images and allows for the visualization of blood flow for effective monitoring or diagnosis of several different types of heart conditions.
- Your echocardiogram will produce real-time results that your physician can both view immediately and record for more detailed study or comparison later.